Saturday, May 11, 2013

This week we talked about theories within the family. The four theories we discussed are:
Family systems theory which is about the family as a whole, roles, and boundaries.
Exchange theory which is costs vs. benefits.
Symbolic interaction which is that we're always creating meaning.
And conflict theory which is that conflict can be good.

I think that in my family growing up the conflict theory was the most relate-able to what we had. In my family there was constant conflict between my parents, the kids, and the kids with the parents. I don't know that I can say that conflict was a good thing for us though. Perhaps sometimes, but most of the time no. 
When I have a family or for myself personally I believe the theory that best describes how I operate is symbolic interaction. I like to have meaningful relationships with anyone that comes into my life. I think that creating meaning and purpose is what will make me happy the most within my family, but of course it is also important to consider what my future husband and future kids will thrive the most with as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment