Friday, May 31, 2013

In this weeks topic of dating, I found it interesting to learn about the relationship attachment law. It was described like this: 
You need to know someone more than you trust them.
You need to trust someone more than you rely on them. 
You need to rely on someone more than you commit to them.
You need to commit to someone more than you touch them.

As we talked about this in class it seemed to be common sense. It is so important to know a person before you give them your trust, rely on them, commit to them, or trust them. You're not going to know how they will treat you, or respond to things unless you get to know them. It was also said in class that it takes a minimum of three months to begin to get to know someone. I LOVE this. So many people out here in Rexburg get engaged after only a couple weeks of getting to know someone. I personally think that would be so scary. You would basically be marrying a stranger. I'm not your typical LDS girl. I believe in getting to know someone for a long period of time, then dating them for a long period of time, and then if it's right and I feel comfortable with that person completely maybe we'll get engaged. Trust is earned, and I feel like it takes awhile for most people to earn that because I do need to get to know them completely. 

2 comments:

  1. Great work Bailey! I really appreciated your thoughts, and I agree 100% with the Relationship Attachment Model because I have seen how if not followed how detrimental this can be to a relationship! Of all the aspects of the model what area do you feel like is most frequently overlooked or skipped?

    Thanks for your thoughts!
    Maddison Dillon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that getting to know someone is the aspect that is most frequently overlooked and skipped. I think that too often people are blindsided by the "honeymoon" phase of dating someone that they rush into everything else, and I think that is a big mistake.

      Delete